[HOT] Fwd: About " openstreetmap " Name Conflict

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Jun 23 16:56:15 UTC 2015

On 23/06/15 17:18, Lester Caine wrote:
> On 23/06/15 16:43, john whelan wrote:
>
>> We checked and found the keyword is your company's registered trademark.
>> But have not registered in China,Hong Kong,Taiwan. So we inform you to
>> confirm whether this registration will affect and conflict your company.
>> If this registration will not affect and conflict your company, then we
>> can finish registering for them as per our duty. If this registration
>> will affect and conflict your company. Please contact us by telephone or
>> email within 10 workdays, so we can better handle the issue.
>
> I've had a couple of these relating to my own company names and I simply
> replied that the business was not authorised by me to use the names and
> if they traded using them they would be in violation of my copyright. I
> did not hear any more about the matter, and nothing was registered as
> far as I can see. I think this just needs the same sort of letter from
> someone, but in this case several international bodies can object to the
> trademarking of what is an international open source project?

As everybody else has said, it is just a scam and should be ignored.

One thing I can pretty much guarantee is that they haven't received any
reqeusts from anybody.

The usual giveaway is that they use complete nonsense phrases like
talking about registering "internet keywords" which is not a concept
that actually exists!

At best they are looking to sell you an overpriced domain registration
and at worst, well who knows.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)