[HOT] HOT Community Meeting Summary Notes and Next Steps

nicolas chavent nicolas.chavent at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 15:18:27 UTC 2015

Hi Heather,

I'd like to thank you, Harry, Russel and Kristen to have organized those
three consultative community calls, releasing those notes in a short
timeline and already started acting upon some of the below action points.

Like all, I look forward to reading the future documents (TOR and plan)
I take advantage of this announcement to stress the most fundamental point
that the transition plan has to address: take into consideration the
on-going election (results in 2 weeks time) and allow for the new board to
act upon the work of the previous board and community for managing the
transition.

Best,
Nicolas

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 7:23 AM, Heather Leson <heatherleson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> HI Hotties,
>

> The HOT community hosted three community calls this week to talk about the
> Executive Director Transition and timing. The following is a summary and
> some actions. Harry, Russell and Heather facilitated these meetings. Notes
> and audio clips can be below.
>
> All: Your support and help during this time is most appreciated.
>
> These were attended by a total of 17 people with some people attending
> multiple calls. There are 86 members of HOT.  It is my understanding that
> there is about 1000 people on the main HOT mailing list.
>
> The descriptive summary of attendees: Membership chair, HOT Board members
> (current), HOT Board Member candidates, HOT Staff, HOT members and HOT
> community contributors.
>
> About the Executive Director (Transition, interim plans)
>
> A draft description of the roles and responsibilities was discussed and
> written. These can be found in the community call notes. There were some
> opinions and inquiries into whether an interim Executive Director was
> required.
>
> Some actions:
>
>    1.
>
>    Provide a full job description of the current Executive Director
>    -
>
>       Owner: Kate, Status: requested
>       2.
>
>    Provide a full, public Executive Director Transition plan
>    -
>
>       Owner: Heather/Board Status: Drafted, need ED, current Board
>       permission to share, Some items are confidential (eg. staff and partner
>       management)
>       3.
>
>    Consult with HOT’s advisor, Allen Gunn of Aspiration on the Executive
>    Director Transition plan, Interim Executive Director job description and
>    legal next steps
>    -
>
>       Owner: Heather, Status: Email sent
>       4.
>
>    Interim Executive Director Job Description to be shared
>    -
>
>       Owner: Board (current)
>       5.
>
>    Provide next steps to community and membership
>    -
>
>       Owner: Heather, Board. To be sent within the next 24 hours.
>

> About the timing of the Announcement
>
> Harry and Heather explained to the attendees about the Board (current)
> decision and timing of the announcement.  This is a rare situation. Most
> Boards and Executive Directors do not change at the same time.
>

> Some actions:
>

>    1.
>
>    Governance Working Group to write best practices for managing Board
>    transition
>    2.
>
>    Membership Chair and election committee to write up their
>    recommendations for improvement to this process.
>

> Call notes
>
> CommunityCall#1
> [...]

Nicolas Chavent
Projet OpenStreetMap (OSM)
Projet Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT)
Projet Espace OSM Francophone (EOF)
Mobile (FRA): +33 (0)6 52 40 78 20
<nicolas.chavent at hotosm.org>
Email: nicolas.chavent at gmail.com