[HOT] West African HOT Mapping Tips

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 12:32:21 UTC 2015

Hi John,

We have talked about making them more widely available and we do include
them in some of the W. Africa instructions or pass them out to mappers
individually, sometimes as part of validation feedback.

I have a short list of revisions is partly why I have not moved them out
from my personal page yet in the wiki and called them "done"

As to the huts: It can go either way, but it is my understanding we
usually try and map the building footprints as it provides just a little
bit more data, approximate size and can help when working physically on
ground for orienting yourself a little better than just a point on a map.

But it is up to the project manager to determine what data they need v.
how fast it can be generated. In one circumstance just getting a
building count and structures represented on the map quickly could be a
lot more important than whatever else we gain by an actual building
footprint.

And sometimes the circumstances of mapping affecting things. If you are
working in the field on a smart phone collecting building locations off
line and entering data for each building, outlines would be impossible.

As to drawing the huts quickly, you might already know these things in
JOSM, but just in case:

When you copy/paste, where you hold the cursor will be the center of the
pasted object. So hold your mouse pointer directly in the center of the
hut to paste.

Then with the newly pasted building selected, hold control-alt keys down
and you can resize the object you just pasted based on the center of the
pasted object. That lets you quickly get the pasted hut the correct size.

Cheers,
Blake