[HOT] Mapping Logging Roads in the Congo Basin

James Conkling james.lane.conkling at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 16:08:57 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I’m pleased to announce the launch of a long-term initiative to upload
logging road data from across the Congo Basin.  We currently have three TM
projects running:

   -

   Democratic Republic of the Congo: http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/920
   -

   Central African Republic: http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/956
   -

   Congo Brazzaville: http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/957

Over the coming weeks, we will be launching new TM projects for

   -

   Gabon
   -

   Equatorial Guinea
   -

   Cameroon

This is a joint initiative between the World Resource Institute and
Moabi--with considerable help from the HOT and OSM communities.  We are
validating and uploading to OSM thousands of kilometers of tracks.  At a
later point, we hope to compare these roads to high-res satellite imagery
mosaics from the year 2000 to 2014 so that we can gain a better
understanding of when roads were first cleared and if they have since been
abandoned.  Currently, however, we are working to conflate all data with
what already exists in OSM.

If you are interested, please join us with the upload on any of the above
TM projects, which include links to the project wikis.  If you do
contribute, please create a separate specific import account for the upload
(if you don’t have one yet), and follow the detailed instructions in the
workflow wiki.

If you have any questions, please reply to this thread or reach out to me
directly.

Find the initial call for comments announcement on the HOT listserv here:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/2015-February/007307.html ,
and the announcement on the imports listserv here:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/imports/2015-February/003663.html