[HOT] Request for Import: VDC Boundaries

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sat May 9 07:35:48 UTC 2015

On 5/4/2015 9:58 AM, Prabhas Pokharel wrote:
> https://data.hdx.rwlabs.org/dataset/nepal-admin-level-4-administrative-boundaries-cod
> and an older one from GADM <http://www.gadm.org/>, which has the
> following license:
> Nepal NPL FortiusOne Inc. (via WorldBank;
> http://maps.worldbank.org/overlays/3238) (Creative Commons Attribution
> 3.0 License.)
>
> Would it be possible to help us import these boundaries into OSM? If
> not, what are the issues that need to be solved for that to happen?
Consultation will need to be done. This includes the local community,
such as it is, and the imports@ mailing list. The HOT list could also be
consulted, but it is not a requirement. A couple of issues you'll want
to consider are:

- GADM is under a non-commercial license and non-open. It must not be
imported into OpenStreetMap. You might have some success going to the
original source of the data and getting it there under a suitable
license. I do not suggest contacting GADM as this tends to not be very
effective.
- The data at data.hdx.rwlabs.org is not under an open license, or any
clear license. You might have some success there
- Administrative boundaries tend to be finicky to import, as they need
to be connected up with existing boundaries and share ways
- Both tagging and how existing data will be handled will need to be
described