[HOT] Request for information about common set of tags for HOT (Was: OSM Nepal Reponse - Links to various infos)

Springfield Harrison stellargps at gmail.com
Tue May 19 19:38:20 UTC 2015

Hello Stefan & Blake,

I concur with the comments about the "tag soup"
mess.  As I have mentioned before, I am new to
this OSM environment but have some years
experience with GPS and GIS mapping and database design.

To be honest, I was appalled when I discovered
that the OSM database design looked like a
glorified scratchpad.  I just downloaded and
inspected 366,017 OSM database records.  There
were 18 Key Terms and scores of values.  I
extracted the unique combinations of keys/values
and ended up with 388 records of those.

It is difficult to describe the results in detail
as patterns are very hard to see with this
system.  Suffice it to say, there is an abundance
of overlap, redundancy, ambiguity and a confusing
intermingling of features and attributes.  Using
traditional methods of querying a database, it
would be impossible to definitively extract a
meaningful subset of any of the 366,000
records.  Generally speaking, the problem is that
one feature may be described in many different ways that are not consistent.

Having said all that, since I frequently hear how
well all this mapping information is received in
the field, I must conclude that this mishmash of
tagging somehow creates a usable end product.  It
may well be that I am not aware of magic
techniques that bring order to all this chaotic
tagging.  However, if it works, it is
good.  However I do believe that it will work
better with a more robust database.

Sorry to offer this harsh critique, but in
decades of looking at database structures for
both geographical and administrative
applications, I have never seen such a jumble of terminology.

Anyway, I have put together what I believe is a
more appropriate Data Dictionary that generally
parallels the best practices in database
design.  I have found this approach to be very
useful, and also useful in the field, since being
introduced to it by Trimble Navigation in the early 90s.

I am impressed with the enthusiasm that permeates
the crowd GIS initiative but concerned that the
geographical and database underpinnings may be
less than ideal.  My observation from creating a
few software applications, is that the lesser
trained are the users, the much greater
investment there needs to be in the user
interface and training.  GIS and GPS data
collection is not particularly intuitive.

My approach in projects of this kind is always to
start at the far end with the users - what
information are they wanting for whatever it is
that they do?  Then I look at the reporting
requirements and finally design the data collection process to feed into that.

In the case of this emergency relief operation,
I'm hard-pressed to see the value in mapping
video games, hairdresser, gymnastics, karate and
volleyball.  To be fair, many of the other
attributes could have value in providing relief
services but in the record set that I downloaded,
there seems to be little information related to
the emergency relief effort.  In over 366,000
records there are only 19 marked as aeroway = helipad.

I'm not sure just how thorough you intend to be
with the "updating, streamlining and
regularizing" but I would be happy to help where possible.

It would probably not be overly difficult to
substitute a new feature/attribute catalogue into
the OSM database.  Translating the existing mass
of keys and values to their new equivalent might
be more challenging.  Databases succeed because
they conform to standard pattern sets.

Again, sorry to be less than enthusiastic but perhaps things can be improved.

         Thanks for your patience, Cheers . . . . . . . . Spring Harrison