[HOT] DRAFT- HOT Nepal Response Community Survey

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Wed May 20 21:54:16 UTC 2015

It appears my comments on email addresses were not understood clearly.

If we do an extract on OSM and HOT we can identify people who have mapped
in OSM before, those who have mapped on only one occasion in Nepal etc.  In
other words if we only send the relevant questions to a group of email
addresses who we know have never mapped before then we can tailor the
questions specifically to them.  Or have two or three versions of the
questionnaire one for each group we are interested in.  The other method is
to pick up their email address, there are methods to do this by passing the
information in the link to the questionnaire.  If you use that method then
link the email address to the questionnaire you can then link it to other
information from HOT and OSM.  However this method may run into privacy law
considerations in various countries unless you ask permission.

Asking an experienced mapper say one with a hundred plus edits in OSM what
they think of the training is probably a waste of time, they probably
didn't look at it.  However by asking them the question you have added to
respondent burden.  If you know the answer or can deduce it then first its
probably more accurate, people do not always answer truthfully, second the
normal rule of surveys is take up the minimum time necessary to get the
information you require.

Can you get the person's country from their OSM profile?  etc.  Can we get
their preferred language from their OSM profile?

Another issue is if you are going to host the questionnaire on Hackpad or
Dropbox then you may lose some respondents who will not agree to giving up
their list of email contacts to dropbox should they elect to sign in using
something like Google sign in.  Typically these may represent a group of
users you might be interested in.

Cheerio John