[HOT] [Nepal EQ] On-the-fly imagery misalignments

cascafico cascafico at gmail.com
Thu May 21 06:56:09 UTC 2015

During my editing sessions, I've found that May 2015 imagery (ie: Digital
Globe) is often distorted, due to high shot angle and/or missing
orthorectification.

In mapping pre-disaster we use "old" Bing and Mapbox imagery, that I suppose
have been filtered and processed for a better 2D representation.

I noticed that many pre and post EQ edits are misaligned (from few to 100
meters) causing collapsed building brownfield to be away from pre-EQ
building.

When needed, JOSM users should take Bing/Mapbox as a reference and align
unprocessed imagery on a local basis, say 500meters canvas.

Having toggable pre and post EQ also reveals other disaster elements, like
landsides.

-----

--
cascafico.altervista.org