[HOT] Level of user experience to focus on

Daniel O'Connor daniel.oconnor at gmail.com
Thu May 28 13:56:29 UTC 2015

I think https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/1657 sort of started in
the right direction - the JOSM style, super complicated hard to understand
validation messages aren't what you want, but the more the editor can
suggest to me *small improvements I want to make *the better. If its real
time or on new contributions, well; fantastic - discourages bad data
getting in. That might not be feasible though.

You've previously said things like: "I think I might like it a little
better if iD did very little validation and had an API integration with a
dedicated validator like keepright." - that's probably a really feasible
incremental step.

Imagine the workflow:
 - New-ish user opens a tile in the tasking manager.
 - A flag to ID in the URL asks it to render the osmose error feed for that
bounding box
 - New-ish user sees a few buildings, roads, etc. One of them has a red
marker or outline on it.
 - User clicks on it, not having see it before - a message suggests that
this is tagged with landuse and is a building.
 - *Oops* thinks the user, *I thought about tagging like this, I guess
that's not right.* If we're lucky; *I wonder if I can fix it.*

Outcomes: user learns from the 'mistakes' of others, but it's still very
much suggestion based - more about gentle encouragement than having someone
down the track invalidate your work with a terse message you don't
understand.

That's... possibly a bit specific and maybe should be shifted into github
somewhere to be kicked around further; but yeah...