[HOT] GeoWeek Remote Support

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 16 13:47:08 UTC 2015

Hello,
Continuing the subject of remote support...

I'm teaching/talking/leading at a Mapathon tomorrow evening that is
hosted/organised by Friends of MSF (almost 30 say they're coming).

Normally I would hand pick a task as much as a week before the event. A
"good" task could be one that is recent but still has some stuff to map (as
in unassigned squares, also visible but unmapped features when looking),
has a good description with directions on what to map, and either the group
has a connection with the country or there's a sentence to make the task
compelling(media helps us humans connect mentally with the need). As this
is is an MSF-focused group, I'd like to know if their own priorities but
even if another organisation chips in then it's nice to say "XXX has really
asked us to do this task".

With it being OSMGeoWeek, I'm concerned(overly so I know) that I'll pick a
task and by the time we start it will be finished.
I wondered if there's any tasks being proposed for beginners, and then any
co-ordination for "X is working in task 1, Y and Z will both work on task
2"?

What I could do, is find 5 tasks I think are "good" so I have others to
choose from at the start. Or we might even finish a task as a team!

I should perhaps add another purpose for selecting. I'm the main/only
experienced mapper. It's easier to have 30 people working on a similar
terrain when they ask me/each-other questions. Is this a motorway or a
track? I have some answer to give, along with the general advice "look at
surrounding squares".

Gregory.
Durham & Newcastle, UK.

Gregory