[HOT] Nepal Earthquake IDP Camp Sites Validation

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Tue Oct 13 22:09:10 UTC 2015

Hi Benni,
I suggest that you update the Shelter Dynamics Observer page to indicate that this is an academic study to develop the methodology in assessing such IDP Camps when the situation evolve rapidly in such crisis context.

The primary role of HOT and the OSM community in such responses is to produce rapidly the basemap and offer Maps and Services to support the humanitarians that deploy in affected areas. Many organizations are involved in damage or IDP camp assessments other and this is not done only from interpretation of aerial imagery.
In such Humanitarian Activations, communications among various organizations and flexibility are key factors. Our Coordination team, the DHNetwork partner organizations, Imagery providers, UN Agencies and international organizations are in constant contact and re-evaluate constantly the situation and actions to take. After the first evaluation of the Kathmandu IDP camps, the decision was taken to let the field teams in Kathmandu revise assessments of IDP camps in these urban areas since it was easy for them to access camps in the Kathmandu valley.

This was not the case for the remote areas in the mountains and the bad news coming from various sources convinced the Coordination Group to reorient the OSM remote mapping priority to complete rapidly the basemap for these areas not yet mapped in detail.  There was almost no communication with many isolated villages, with often no roads, landslides and constant risks with the earthquake aftershocks.
regard
Pierre