[HOT] How newer mappers can help a lot with the validation process

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 13:33:16 UTC 2016

I'm not sure this is the best use of our very limited number of mappers.
Just scanning a tile takes time, so the optimum use of mapper time is to
have them scan once when they map and have a validator scan once.

For a productivity point of view its better to have new mappers split the
tiles twice and map a tiny tile completely than have twenty of them go over
the same area.  From the same point of view its better to have them map
where we have good imagery than map where quote "You may have to squint a
bit".  Mapping whilst squinting takes more time to map the same area than
mapping where the imagery is good.  No matter where they map it will be
useful to someone if not a short term MSF or American Red Cross project and
to be honest if something like Ebola crops up having fairly good mapping of
existing highways and villages in place before you start helps those
projects in the field at least plan out what and where.

Cheerio John