[HOT] Greetings, and a question about protocol

Heather Leson heatherleson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 07:14:18 UTC 2016

Hey Pine, first off, welcome to HOT.

Definitely we have grappled with term of 'endearment'. There are a number
of Women within the growing community. I can see how this term (in English)
could be seen as inappropriate.

HOT and OSM have much work to do to be more inclusive for women. We truly
have much work do on this. I am very open to having some conversations on
this, including actions that we can build towards leading up to the HOT
Summit. Would anyone else like to join us on that journey? Should we
arrange a time to talk?

I've been a member and Board Member for almost 4 years. Oddly enough, I am
comfortable with the term because it is really about a warm greeting rather
than subjugating women. My comfort might also stem from the sound. You see
"Hottie" is close to the Ukrainian word "hota" which means house. So it
might be my upbringing that makes me feel like the word means ' home'.

This does not sway from the larger issue of how we co-create a space for
all. Nor, how to make it better for women to be leaders and feel fully
welcome.

Conversations welcome.

Heather

Heather Leson