[HOT] A big thank you to HOT and OSM mappers from the Ministry of Disaster Management Sri Lanka

Robert Banick rbanick at gmail.com
Wed May 25 08:30:44 UTC 2016

Thanks so much for passing this along Blake! I didn’t know about it myself,
that’s so very cool.

In tasks 1913, 1914 and 1915 you all mapped over *65,000* buildings across
a huge area in a really short timeframe. All thanks and appreciation has to
go to the mappers and validators who made this possible. This doesn’t even
count the extra *1000* or so you mapped around the Aranayake Landslide Area
elsewhere in the country. All these buildings were used to estimate damages
across the flood area and in specific sub-areas so that aid could be
delivered more intelligently and quickly to the right places. Thank you all!

The floods are still high albeit going down. We’re awaiting word from the
DMC whether they have additional areas of interest for us to map. If not
we’ll shut down the activation, but until then we’re going to stay open and
keep mapping. In the meantime we’ve setup a task to map the Attanagalu and
Minuwangoda areas, which we know to be flooded and part of a long-term
project by the DMC to use OSM data for future flood preparedness. If you’re
looking to get involved or help out please chip in and map some buildings
and roads there!

Task at http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/1923

Keep up the good mapping!
Robert