[HOT] Surveying Helicopter Landing Zones (HLZs)

Milo van der Linden milo at dogodigi.net
Fri Nov 4 18:29:26 UTC 2016

Hello Keith,

During the Nepal earthquake, the 'armchair mappers' where asked to draw
circles on the aerial images in openstreetmap with a given diameter,
visually selecting flat areas that where clear of buildings, trees and
rocks. I think this would be a combination of your 1 and 2.
http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/1023

3 would then not be uploading, but tagging the landing-zones with a certain
quality based upon ground truth (making 4 unecessary). This could be done
by people on site with a variety of (mobile/tablet) openstreetmap editors.

5 has been done in the Nepal situation already as far as I know.
https://opensource.com/life/15/5/nepal-earthquake-hfoss

In my opinion, HOT is an open community. You are free to conduct your study
and I hope you will be thrilled by the unlimited possibilities of the
openstreetmap data-model.

Good luck and have fun!

> All:
>
> I am a retired Marine Corps Helicopter Pilot, and a current Masters
> Candidate in GIS Technologies at USC.
>
> I am working on my thesis, which is based on the premise that
> crowd-sourced geospatial information, if properly structured, could aid
> aircrews in surveying potential HLZs for disaster response.
>
> The work flow would be as follows:
>
> (1) Helicopter planners and aircrews would select potential HLZs in a
> disaster-affected region, using whatever mission planning GISystem at their
> disposal (normally baed on remote sensing data)
>
> (2) Those proposed HLZs would be uploaded to OSM.
>
> (3) Volunteers could select one of those HLZs and conduct a ground-truth
> survey, following a script (that I would develop).
>
> (4) Those surveys would be uploaded to OSM and validated.
>
> (5) the Helicopter mission planners and aircrews could use those surveys
> to select the best zones for disaster relief operations.
>
> I am looking at using the towns of Honokaa and Waimea on the northern end
> of the Big Island of Hawaii as my study area, as I live close by, and I
> have the local Community Emergency Response Team (volunteers) willing to
> support.
>
> Who do I need to talk to about getting HOT permission to conduct a limited
> objective study in this area?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Keith Darby

[image: http://www.dogodigi.net] <http://www.dogodigi.net>