[HOT] Improving data quality of Maperthons

Pete Masters pedrito1414 at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 3 08:26:29 UTC 2016

Just to make sure I understand, John...

Do you mean ask mappers at physical events to standardise their approach to
tiles? i.e. north to south or north west corner first?

Not sure what you mean about the pieces of paper, either... The info for
the tile in the Tasking Manager says who has worked on it and a comment can
be directed their way....

Sorry if I am being dumb!

Pete

On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 5:32 PM, john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think we have to accept that maperthon mappers will not map an exact
> number of tiles.
>
> Whether that is half a tile, two and quarter tiles it doesn’t matter.  We
> still need to catch the errors they make and if they are spread out over a
> project on tiles that are not marked done they are difficult to find.
>
> One very simple improvement is to ask them to map a block, say at the top
> left hand corner.  This makes it much easier for someone with JOSM to slurp
> the area in, grab a tile then pull in the surrounding area and run JOSM
> validation on the area.
>
> This picks up the crossing ways, the highways that almost meet, the
> area=yes that have been left without further tags, highways=road and the
> untagged ways.  It’s not perfect validation but it hits some of the major
> errors that keep the mapping from being useful.
>
> Ideally after 30 minutes ask people to upload or save, then grab with
> JOSM.  You’ll need the mappers to write on a bit of paper what their OSM
> name is to provide feedback but immediate feedback can be helpful to the
> mapper and for data quality reasons.
>
> Even if you don’t have JOSM or know how to use it, it helps a validator or
> even what I call a heavy mapper who doesn’t think of themselves as a
> validator but often will come in and complete a partially mapped tile
> making some corrections as they go.  Thoughts?
>
> Thanks John

*Pete Masters*
Missing Maps Project Coordinator
+44 7921 781 518