[HOT] Tasking ManagerS (Was: Re: Map4Haiti)

Rod Bera rod at goarem.org
Mon Oct 24 09:46:52 UTC 2016

Hi Mikel,

> that's a seperate topic from running an additional unnecessary
> tasking manager.

to me it's not.
As I understand things, the fact that a task needs to be
endorsed/supported by HOT if it is to appear on tasks.hotosm.org is a
problem. The fact that only co-opted ("trained", "friends") individual
can post a task is a problem too.

There were discussions on this in the past with people advocating a more
open policy for tasks.hotosm.org.

This did not happen for some reasons internal to HOT US Inc.

Then it appeared as a logical consequence that others would set-up
tasking managers fit for their needs.
Related to this is last year's discussion on default logos (TM by
default had a HOT logo), name (HOT tasking manager formerly incorrectly
known as OSM tasking manager). This was settled, more or less.

The next logical step (I also mentioned it at that time) was what is
happening now: possibly conflicting tasks. Well it is not the case yet:
as as far as I can see there is no overlap between tasks from
tasks.hotosm.org and tasks from taches.francophonelibre.org, but it will
fatally happen at some point.

To address this I proposed a number of solutions which had not much
success:
-indexing tasking managers and tasks into a reference catalogue, or
-indexing TMs and tasks into catalogueS, possibly one for each TM with
service metadata, and subsequently allow for either cross-harvesting, or
-bottom-up harvesting if there is a truly community-operated reference
catalogue endorsed by everyone.

I agree this makes things a bit complicated as it would ideally require
GeoNetwork instances (ideally one for each TM) or something similar. But
the INSPIRE SDI experience in Europe shows it works quite smoothly.

However I agree it adds-up some complexity where we could avoid it. If
only there was only ONE TM that would be EVERYONE'S TM.
The de facto control of the original TM by HOT with a disputable policy
as to who had a right/privilege to define and post tasks broke up this hope.

Given this I have no problem with tasks.hotosm.org being administered
with HOT US Inc. rules. Or other TM being administered according to
different policies. We are diverse after all.

Now, we probably agree that beyond this diversity we have to work
together as a global community.

To this aim I'll be happy to collaborate with you to find ways of coming
up with the kind of "universal catalogue of tasks" we (OSM) need.

tasks.hotosm.org #2219 #2229 #2236 #2237 #2248 etc., as well as
taches.francophonelibre.org #35 #40 # 41 #45 #63 #64 #65 #66 #67 etc.
are all pertinent and they all should be primarily viewed as the
contributions from the OSM community instead of the organisations
running the tasking managers.

Regards,

Rod