[HOT] Tasking ManagerS

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 14:15:10 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Rod Bera <rod at goarem.org> wrote:
> Hi Mikel,
>
>> that's a seperate topic from running an additional unnecessary
>> tasking manager.
>
> to me it's not.
> As I understand things, the fact that a task needs to be
> endorsed/supported by HOT if it is to appear on tasks.hotosm.org is a
> problem. The fact that only co-opted ("trained", "friends") individual
> can post a task is a problem too.

Hi Rod,

I am not sure where you get this idea, but HOT is always open and very
relaxed in who can post projects. At the moment there are literally
hundreds of people who can post projects on the HOT OSM Tasking
Manager. The only requirement is that it is a humanitarian based
project and that we work as a team within the limitations of the
existing software to focus mapping and come to agreement about project
priorities on a consensus basis, especially during a HOT Activation.
Planned changes to HOT's OSM Tasking Manager software will make that
easier for sure.

It would be great if people who create projects have some minimum
level of understanding of what makes a good project and how to use the
Tasking Manager software, and we are working on ways to make sure
people do have that knowledge, but it has not prevented anyone from
creating projects on the HOT OSM Tasking Manager install and I add
folks as Project Managers on a regular basis.

In this case specifically, all of the folks creating mapping projects
on the taches francophone install of HOT's OSM Tasking Manager
software can create projects on HOT's installation (actually they are
full admins on HOT's install so can add project creators as well). The
only thing we ask is that like every activation in the past, they join
the HOT Activation Coordination channel, currently on our public slack
channel[1], and collaborate on projects created so everyone is mapping
on the best possible projects and in conjunction with the folks we are
working with on the ground doing response work and we have consensus
on the projects and their priority. There was never any rejection or
selectivity of any project now or in the past for projects they
created.

As long as people make an effort to work as a team and in the best
interests of the folks on the ground we are trying to help, everyone
is welcome, both in the activation coordination and to create projects
on HOT's install of the OSM Tasking Manager.

Cheers,
Blake

[1]https://hotosm-slack.herokuapp.com/

ps: I know Severin, Nico and Pierre are all admins on the HOT Tasking
Manager, if you send me your osm username, I can make sure you are as
well Rod if you would like to create projects on the HOT install.