[HOT] HOT Statistics

Laura O'Grady laura at lauraogrady.ca
Fri Sep 30 02:15:38 UTC 2016


I agree with John. 

The issue in VGI (volunteered geographic information) or crowdsourcing has shifted from measures like how many people, number of edits and completion times is to one of measuring quality.

An important metric towards measuring this is credibility (is the information believable?). Two dimensions include whether the information is trustworthy (or good) and expertise (is the information source knowledgable?).

There are studies that are measuring the quality of OSM data in general by comparing edits by volunteer contributors to maps that have been created using validated sources.

Some research of this nature has been published in this book, which is available for free download at the link below:

Capineri, C, Haklay, M, Huang, H, Antoniou, V,  Kettunen, J, Ostermann, F and Purves, R 2016 European Handbook of Crowdsourced Geographic  Information. London: Ubiquity Press.

http://www.ubiquitypress.com/site/books/detail/28/european-handbook-of-crowdsourced-geographic-information/

-
Laura O'Grady
laura at lauraogrady.ca

> On Sep 29, 2016, at 9:26 PM, john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> You might like to think in terms of data quality.  Number of mappers is interesting I've seen 20 new maperthon mappers not finish a single tile between them and I've seen a team of three JOSM mappers map a project very quickly doing about 90% of the project the other 10% was done by other mappers.
> 
> One of the end users once said to me at a conference OSM is great stuff but the quality is very uneven.
> 
> What can impact the rate of mapping is having a validator sitting on the project.  Giving feedback seems to motivate the mappers to do a few more.
> 
> Cheerio John
> 
>> On 29 September 2016 at 18:22, Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am doing a presentation and I would like to cite some stats about some HOT projects (I just need three or four examples). I am interested in things such as:
>> * How many people contributed
>> * How many features mapped (e.g. # of buildings, km of roads, etc)
>> * How quickly the contributions were made.
>> 
>> Are these available anywhere, or does anyone have a method for pulling them out via the API or Overapass?
>> 
>> Thanks,
>> 
>> Mike
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> HOT mailing list
>> HOT at openstreetmap.org
>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
> 
> _______________________________________________
> HOT mailing list
> HOT at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/attachments/20160929/f9d8c29c/attachment.html>


More information about the HOT mailing list