[HOT] Mapping buildings something to think about

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Tue Apr 11 05:46:57 UTC 2017

On 04/11/2017 12:23 AM, Dale Kunce wrote:
> All this is a reminder to everyone to keep the language and intent of
> statements in a respectful manner. The iD developers and mainteners work
> very hard to manage the project and do a very good job. I know some of
> you have frustrations but please be respectful of others time and
> efforts as well.

I have a saying (from the would-be radio/TV producer in me): Sometimes
bleep happens, and sometimes it happens and there's no bleep.

I can understand the frustration from having to clean up "iD droppings"
(for lack of a better term). I have lost count of the number of slopped
down building outlines that aren't even close to the rectangular truth
on the ground (this is normal OSM i.e. non-HOT mapping). I've managed to
keep my changeset comments profanity-free despite my frustration, which
at times has been a challenge. That said it's hard for me to blame the
original poster for using that word in that context, I probably would
have said it the same way.

Admittedly some of the blame has to fall on the users for not knowing
how to use iD properly. It is possible to tag buildings correctly and
square them up to 90° angles with iD. I've done it before.

http://www.rantroulette.com
http://www.skqrecordquest.com