[HOT] Data Collection

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 15:53:10 UTC 2017

One crude method is to download the daily dump.  Cut out the area you're
interested in.

So something like

osmconvert64 G:\downloads\zambia-latest.osm.pbf  -o=f:\maps\zambia.osm

osmconvert64 f:\maps\nigeria.osm -b=8,0,15.6884766,9
-o=f:\maps\nigeria7.osm

Your drive letters will be different.  Watch the cut out they are long
followed by lat.

copy your output file and that becomes your base map.  It is not part of
OSM but uses the same tools.  So using JOSM load up the file and add your
private data but tag it.  Save the file locally.  Do not upload.

In the future you can select your private data and move it to another
layer. Save the file.

Now download the updated OSM file.  Load it into JOSM then load your
private file as a second layer.  This means open it.  Now merge your
private data into the first layer and save it.  Now you can process it.

I've no idea what the TLAs

* OMK and ODK mean.*

*Cheerio John*