[HOT] Inflationary use of the mailinglist

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 22:51:03 UTC 2017

It took me a long time to accept mailing lists as the main communication
tool for OSM related stuff. But I did find a way to cope with being
subscribed to many (many!) osm mailing lists.

In any mail application it should be possible to devise automatic rules to
preclassify mails. I have a rule that puts them in a separate folder and
lets them skip the inbox. Hence, ni annoying notifications all day long. In
Gmail, they are also neatly organized into conversations, so you only need
to skim the subjects to see if it is worth reading for you.
Hot messages containing something like "urgent" or "activition" can be
treated differently of course.

I would argue against using the digest mode, because it often makes a mess
of longer discussions. It also makes it way harder to join a discussion
when that time comes. Your message is almost certainly going to live on an
island, isolated from the rest of the discussion.