[HOT] Recent building mapping in Malawi

Bjoern Hassler bjohas+mw at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 10:22:42 UTC 2017

Hi John, hi Frans,

We did write a basic tool that can pick up errors new mappers are making:
https://github.com/OSM-Utilities/JOSM-Scripts-HOT

It's meant to do exactly what you say: Spot issues as soon as possible,
i.e. ideally during a mapathon or at the start of a new campaign. The tool
presents an analysis not by changeset or completed tile, but by user
(directly from OSM), and e.g. gives you the percentage of non-square 4-node
buildings per user. It can also check a number of tags. We've used this at
Cambridge mapathons to identify new mappers that systematically don't
square buildings. (It obviously cannot tell the size of buildings relative
to imagery.) We also use it to identify new mappers that are not mapping a
lot during the mapathon, and may therefore need extra help and
encouragement to have a good experience (and would thus be more inclined to
come back).

We'd be very happy to help you (and whoever else is interested) get it set
up!
Bjoern