[HOT] Overpass and schools in Mali

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Sat Sep 1 14:14:15 UTC 2018

On Sun, August 26, 2018 6:24 pm, john whelan wrote:

> In Mali there appears to be an import of schools based on UNICEF data.
> amenity=school source=UNICEF

By the way, this import is quite bad. It does have a lot of attributes,
but the basics are disappointing: position can be a couple kilometers from
the actual location and ALL CAPS NAMES are irritating. Approximate
positions are not always unacceptable, especially with a
"fixme=approximate position" but they are not recorded as such and they
are often so far from actual locations that no one bothers sorting them
out. Opendatamali acknowledged my remarks
(https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/25474220) but took no action. As
for the ALL CAPS NAMES, opendatamali claimed three years ago
(https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/25474402) that the ministry of
education told them on the phone they are standard for information
exchange - please, that is the ministry of education's problem not
Openstreetmap's... After years of being irritated, I'm horribly tempted to
convert them all to lowercase with uppercase first letters.