[Imports] Bicycle parking shapefile

Alan Millar am12 at bolis.com
Fri Jul 23 18:10:28 BST 2010

> I've been working with a new local mapper on bicycle related things
> recently. He talked to someone in the city government and got them to
> donate a shapefile for use in OSM.

You can always keep the original values with a tag prefix.  This may be
very helpful later for values that don't have a common tag currently, but
may in the future.  Some existing prefixes are things like tiger, nhd,
gnis, and canvec.  Perhaps use the city name or department abbreviation.

I would recommend keeping the ID so you can compare updates in the future.
Actually, keep all of the fields that don't map directly into existing
tags.  I personally like keeping original values that are interesting and
descriptive, and also mapping into accepted OSM tags.

For example, if weather_protected has just yes/no values, map it to
"covered" and don't keep another tag for it.  But if it has other values
that can be summarized into covered=yes/no, keep both.

> The other tags I'm not as sure about. Owner can probably map to
> access=* because its values indicate if it is owned by the city

You can also use the "operator" tag with the original values of "Owner".
This would be another one to keep both

So I'd suggest something like:

ID                > bikerack:ID
Capacity          > Capacity
Style             > bikerack:Style
Condition         > bikerack:Condition
Owner             > operator
Owner             > access=yes/private
Security          > bikerack:Security
Locking           > bikerack:Locking
Weather_protected > bikerack:Weather_protected
Weather_protected > covered=yes/no
Notes             > note

but come up with a prefix more distinctive than "bikerack"

- Alan

Alan Millar       am12 at bolis.com