[Imports] MapQuest translation of Beijing - requesting feedback

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 00:37:38 UTC 2010

oops.
Ian is correct, i could have said that :)

Nrcan's CanVec tiles got sliced using the quad-tree tiling system,
where the geographic area contains a max of 20,000 nodes, so any more
than that, increases the chances of conflict.

It's explained on the CanVec wiki page, just how it's done.

Also, further separating the features by feature types allows local
users to 'temporarly claim' work in a local area.

This method, ensures that the community is collaborating.

So, go ahead, make your list of changes locally, then, provide .osm
files, split into small regions and ask the community for help to
merge.

.... Time consuming, yes, quality? .... OSM prefers to build a
community map, over a quality map. A quality gets better, only over
time and more mappers.

cheers,
sam