[Imports] MapQuest translation of Beijing - requesting feedback

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Wed Oct 27 00:49:50 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Hardgrave, Roman
<rhardgrave at mapquest.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> We are considering doing a translation project to add some westernized names
> to roads and places in several Asian cities.  We're planning to start with
> Beijing and see how it goes.  We wanted to get feedback on our plan from the
> community before we got started.

There is a sort-of-similar project for country names.  OSM contributor
and Wikipedian "Mazdermind" is the lead on this if I remember
correctly.  They provide a page that tallies the number of country
names in each language.  Have a look.

http://toolserver.org/~mazder/multilingual-country-list/

As a project, we're not crazy about grouping edits through a proxy
username.  That isolation from the OSM community makes accountability
and dispute resolution difficult.

The translation effort above provides an easy way to find something
that needs translating, that you feel qualified to translate and an
easy link to the object to translate in josm or potlatch.  In the end
the translator uses their own account to connect directly to OSM to
perform the edit.

The API also supports oauth so that your translation application can
be authorized by a user to use their credentials.  The translator
would still have to sign up on OSM.  This would allow you to simplify
the interface for the translator.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Oauth