[Imports] Problems uploading Burundi boundaries data

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Aug 1 14:02:33 BST 2011

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 6:10 AM, Arie Scheffer <ariescheffer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I made my first large upload yesterday -Eurotime- and that went not very
> well. I now have a problem.

Dear Arie,

Welcome to OpenStreetMap.  I see that you have been contributing to
OSM for a few years, but I don't see email from you on the lists that
I read regularly.  So this is a belated welcome.  ;-)

Now _we_ have a problem.  I'm sorry to hear that your attempt at an
import did not go well, but this is entirely predictable.  It almost
always goes poorly the first time somebody attempts an import.  Is
this the only changeset and account at issue?

I've asked on #osm-dev for this changeset to be reverted based on your
call for help.

You say that you've read up on imports via the wiki, but you seem to
have missed some important steps in the import guidelines, especially
create a community, and discuss in advance.  Also missing are use a
dedicated account and document the import tools and methods on the
wiki.  Is there an import guide that needs clearer links to the import
guidelines?  Let's see if we can fix that in the wiki.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits/Code_of_Conduct

The Burundi page on the wiki refers to a licensing agreement between
Africover and Development Seed.  That's interesting but unrelated to
OpenStreetMap.  Development Seed speaks for OpenStreetMap as much as
OpenStreetMap speaks for Development Seed.  :-)  The key in the
licensing is to have permission for any OpenStreetMap user to
contribute / derive data for OSM using that source.  Better
documentation of the agreement would be helpful.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Burundi

To move forward, let's see if you can clear up the license questions
first, then get a discussion going.  Who are the active contributors
in that part of the world other than you?  Then let's find a peer
coach to help you with the next steps.  Certainly, if you plan to try
this again, you should start with a much smaller test.  Not a nation.
That's not cautious.  :-)

Best regards,
Richard