[Imports] Problems uploading Burundi boundaries data

Marc Zoss marczoss at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 08:17:09 BST 2011

Hi everybody

I was contacted by Arie who recently imported some Burundian border since I did quite some work on the Tanzanian coverage.

When I recently added some Tanzanian borders I stumbled across FAO's Africover dataset, but due to license restrictions I decided not to use it (and instead went for maplibary.org which is PD). Africover's license is not compatible with CCbySA / ODBL and so I tried to get Africovers permission specifically and wrote them. I got a negative reply from Africover's Craig van Hagen on 28.10.2010 (see quote below). So I am bit surprised reading that the same Craig van Hagen seems to have granted OSM the permission to use Africover data.

Has anyone some more information and is it documented somewhere?

Best regards

Marc (aka FischersFritz)

Dear Sir / Madam,

Craig von Hagen sent you the following query from the Africover website:

Subject: Data request

This data cannot be uploaded to OSM as it belong to the country specified

Thanks,

Kind Regards
FAO - Africover