[Imports] Legal requirements to import CC-BY-3.0 admin boundaries for Nepal

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Tue Aug 6 07:45:38 UTC 2013

This is how we provide the attribution. Some sources regard this as not
meeting the CC BY requirement of "credit reasonable to the medium" and
consider that reasonable to the medium is having credit shown whenever
the map is, which is frankly absurd when you have over 100 external
sources like OSM does.

> "comment" of the node / ways. Is this correct?

I would not use any tags for attribution. There are no legal requirements
on tags and they can be removed at any time, and frequently are by
downstream users. Basically, comment and source are for mapper convenience,
not for meeting attribution requirements.

> What ... practical issues should we think before commencing such
> an import

Admin boundaries are hard, particularly when mixing with existing data.

Imports are also hard to get right. You need to read the requirements at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines

The tagging is probably going to be fairly simple, with only the VDC_NAME
information from the shapefile used. You'll have to manually build the
higher admin level relations out of the lower ones. This is slow and
difficult.

Just for reference, the shapefile contains a polygon for each VDC, and each
polygon has the DISTRICT, VDC_NAME, and ZoneName tags. Wikipedia says there
are 14 zones, 75 districts and 3913 VDCs. The shapefile has 4047 tagged
objects and when converted has 86k nodes.

For the technical side, last time I worked with admin boundaries I used
the *old* ogr2osm because it converted overlapping ways to shared ways
and multipolygons, and it was easier to turn that into boundary relations
I could bring in to OSM.