[Imports] Import field areas in Viersen, Germany with place=locality

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri May 17 12:09:09 UTC 2013

2013/5/17 Christian Haeske <christian at haeske.net>

> The outlines come from the cadastral (property) map.

of course, that's what we are talking about

> There are 1 to 5 separate outlines per place, some are also really small.
> That would be too much detail, we don´t want to copy the property map to
> osm so we would need to simplify the outlines by hand.

maybe yes, but that is a common case for imports, you have to merge somehow
the data with what is already there. You don't have to do this all alone
though, if you feel that it is too much work you can also cut the data into
"packages" and let other users help you.

> (If you follow that idea to the end we have to copy all parcels from the
> property map and map addresses not to buildings but to that fields.)

definitely, yes. At least for Germany, in other regions addresses might be
organized in a different manner, but for Germany it is clear that this is
the way to go (at least IMHO).

Since these places, we are talking about, are rather small, a single point
> can give you a good idea there this place is.

how can you tell from place=locality that this is a small place? The only
effective way is to use an area.

> Like " ´Three Oaks´ is near a particular crossing in the woods ..." No one
> normally knows the exact fields that have that name.

I guess few people do know. That's why we make maps, to tell others ;-)

With a point it would be the same way like these names are presented in
> walking maps.
> On the other hand you have no idea how wide this place spreads.
> But regarding the fact that these places are meant for orientaion this
> should work, like in our example linked in the first posting:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.25254&lon=6.36924&zoom=16&layers=M

you can't know whether this will be rendered or omitted because it
conflicts with another feature, the only way to get decent renderings is to
have data that tells you how important it is (i.e. that gives you enough
information to decide the importance for your particular map).

If we introduce a (new) special tag it will take a long time until these
> information will find its way on walking maps if it happends at all. (But
> thats not our main concern)

yes, but we are not talking something rare here, this is a standard feature
when it comes to places. Of course, all new tags take some time to get
adapted.

cheers,
Martin