[Imports] edit import guideline wiki page

Jason Remillard remillard.jason at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 20:03:43 UTC 2013

Hi Frederik,

Thank you for reviewing it. Honestly, I am very encouraged that these
two items are the only issues you had. I expected you to be a tough
critic :-)

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 07.11.2013 02:31, Jason Remillard wrote:
>> I just made the changes.
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines
>> Let me know what you think...
>
> The page now opens with
>
> "If you think your city/county/state/country government, a non-profit,
> or some other organization or person has great data that could be used
> to improve the quality of OpenStreetMap, you've come to the right place!"

This was in the text before, I moved it to the top. The first sentence
should say what the page is about.  Rather than killing, perhaps you
can have a crack at rewrite it.

> I certainly feel that, as an *opening* sentence, this is too welcoming.
> It almost sounds as if we are soliciting imports which we certainly
> aren't. This part of your edit certainly doesn't have my agreement.
>
> Neither does the fact that you have, also silently as far as I can see,
> dropped the paragraph
>
> "OpenStreetMap is all about building a great map by attracting a large
> community of mappers. While data imports can help with improving
> coverage rapidly,
> [http://www.asklater.com/matt/wordpress/2009/09/imports-and-the-community/
> simulations] suggest that imported data can cause problems with the
> growth of a community. It's actually far more important to go out and
> run lots of [[mapping parties]], get lots of publicity out there, and
> get local people on the ground."

This has nothing to do with the import policy. The document already
mentions several times that there are/were problems, and that some
areas will not allow them, etc. At least in the US, I don't think this
paragraph fits our current attitude on imports.

This is a separate conversation. Put it back in, and we can argue
about it later.

Thanks
Jason.