[Imports] Question on imports

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 01:23:51 UTC 2013

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Randal Hale
<rjhale at northrivergeographic.com> wrote:

> I received a donation from the Athens County Georgia with their building
> foot print data. I received it yesterday. Apparently I ran afoul of Paul
> Norman and he blocked my efforts. So I've emailed Paul and since I haven't
> heard back from him - I'll email the group. Paul - feel free to respond
> since you haven't answered my messages.

Randal, the reason Paul blocked you is that you were performing an
import without following the Import Guidelines:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines

If you have any questions about your block, you should contact the
Data Working Group, which Paul is a member of, and under whose
authority he blocked you. Since this i

> I've done bulk uploads before. No problem.

The import guidelines have been a work in progress, and have been
refined a lot in 2012 and again in 2013. As they've become
increasingly solid, the LWG has begun to enforce them. So while
automated bulk edits might have gone unnoticed (or unaddressed)
before, they aren't now.

> So apparently this is a problem - and here's my problem. I can't imagine I'm bringing
> anything new to the table - but according to Paul's conversation with geocak this is the law.
> Although the import page on teh wiki lists there are no rules - just
> guidelines - we seem to havegotten thought all of them but #8.

The import guidelines require that there be a wiki page describing the
import in detail, and community agreement about the import. If you
only received the data yesterday (as you say later in your email) then
there would not be time for the community to review it. I also didn't
see an announcement about this data import, but perhaps I missed it-
can you share the link?

Even if you did make a wiki page, and announced it, if you received
the data yesterday, and even if you announced it to the community the
same day, you'd need to have given us all time to review your import,
ask questions, understand your process, etc. such that we could come
to a community wide consensus. Certainly we can't do that in <12
hours. In the past, times people used for such discussion was no less
than 7-10 days, with additional time for discussion.

I have some thoughts about the import itself, before we can get there,
we need to work through these issues, which clearly you're frustrated
about.

- Serge