[Imports] TIGER name expansion (was GNIS tags)

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 00:17:35 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 6:42 PM, Andrew Buck <andrew.r.buck at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm, regarding the ones not touched by the name expansion bot due to
> prior user activity... is there a list of these way id's somewhere?

No, but it wouldn't be too hard to figure it out.

The algorithm was fairly simple, though...

Basically, the bot looked at the name and looked at the tiger tags. If
the name was what the import had left over, it overrode it with the
correct value. If it had a different name, then it left it alone.

So, if the tiger base name was "Main" and the tiger road
classification was "St" - it expected the name to be "Main St", but if
it was "Franklin Ave"- then it didn't touch the way at all.

> It would be good to go over all of these systematically if there are
> not too many of them and have people manually check them for name
> expansion.

There's need to go over all the ways, not just the TIGER ways. There's
also need for another run of the TIGER expansion bot because people
were very concerned about the "Saint, St" issue, which had been messed
up in a previous expansion effort in the West Coast.

Basically, the bot there incorrectly expanded "St" in reference to
Saint to Street. While I had an algorithm which could have handled
this, the community concern was so high that I left it out of the
final version, and left these ways untouched.

The result is that we have a great number of ways in the US which are
unexpanded still.

I've thought about doing another TIGER expansion run, but have been
busy with other tasks, and we fixed a vast majority of roads in the
previous run.

- Serge