[Imports] Portland, OR building and address import

Darrell Fuhriman darrell at garnix.org
Wed Dec 3 22:37:58 UTC 2014

That’s covered in the documentation. :) In short, our initial plan is to not modify existing building footprints. There’s code in the repo for adding addresses to buildings that are missing them, but that is more of a phase 2 item.

As of a couple weeks ago, OSM has 19,370 buildings in the metro area, about 8000 have address tags on them. There are an additional 1300 address points.

Our first-pass import will add an additional ~570k buildings, ~510k of which have addresses. Not all buildings have them, such a detached garages, barns, etc. Some have more, so the total  number of addresses imported will actually be ~561k. We also have enough data to be able to easily add address tags to about 4000 extant buildings. I’m sure we could get the balance of untagged buildings without too much work.

One open question for me, which we I would appreciate guidance on, is whether or not to import address points for each unit number in a building, where we have them. Right now, we are not planning to, but it would be easy to change things to add them.

Darrell