[Imports] Portland, OR building and address import

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Thu Dec 4 01:14:57 UTC 2014

Darrell Fuhriman <darrell at garnix.org> writes:

> One open question for me, which we I would appreciate guidance on, is
> whether or not to import address points for each unit number in a
> building, where we have them. Right now, we are not planning to, but
> it would be easy to change things to add them.

A few disjointed thoughts:

  What are people who are hand-editing addresses doing?  What's the
  best practice in manual mapping?  (You should follow suit.)

  Addresses are useful for many purposes, but it seems the most
  important is "find me a route to address X", with the most important
  subcase being possible use by emergency services.  If it would help
  that use case to add multiple points, maybe you should.

  I have seen a condo complex where there are 4 clusters, each of which
  has 2-3 buildings, and there is one street address.  Cluster 1 has
  building 1 with units 1-6, building 2 with 7-12, and cluster 2 has 3
  buildings of 6, and so on.   Clusters are in different sub-driveways.
  So for routing or 911, one definitely wants address points somehow
  that let you get to Unit #35.  That might be 6 points with no real
  geographic relevant to each other all clustered near one building with
  those 6 units.

What does your data look like in particular cases, especially ones that
might match my last question?