[Imports] Import Rio de Janeiro's data.rio data

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sun Dec 14 08:03:37 UTC 2014

On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 5:28 PM, Arlindo Pereira <
openstreetmap at arlindopereira.com> wrote:

> I'm from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and the city government this year
> released a portal called data.rio [1], with a number of datasets about the
> city, such as hotels, museums, admin_level=10 boundaries etc. All the data
> is released in ODbL, so we don't have to ask for their authorization -
> although we should give credit, of course.

I would recommend reading through the licensing just in case they added
some restrictions to ODbL. They might have some unique requirements for
attribution. Better to be safe than sorry.

> We are already discussing what should we import, and I believe that our
> first step would be to import the admin_level=10 boundaries [2]. We are
> already discussing the subject on our brazilian mailing list [3].
>
> So what's the process of approval on the imports list? I have already read
> the Guidelines. Should I begin

by adding data.rio name on the Contributors page?

Prepare an import page for the wiki to describe the import process in some
detail. I would look at other for example. You are welcome to use our
Seattle Import [1] as a template. Provide a link to the data source as well
as any example an import file. For some reason, a unique user id is
required. I've never received a satisfactory reason why. But the DWG gets
all excited if you don't.  So make them happy and use a unique id. For
example, yourid_imports

> My plan is to use the simplify plugin on JOSM - the maritime border on
> some boroughs is excessively detailed - and make conflation on what has
> already been mapped (based on boundaries defined by law and drawn by hand,
> maybe not so exact), uploading the data with a user created for this task.

The simplify plugin works well for simplifying ways.  See my comment above
about the import id.

Good luck with the process. It's good that you have already involved the
local community. Get them doing as many tasks as possible. Imports can be a
great way to build community. For example MaptimePDX is working on a
community based import right now.

Clifford

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Seattle_Import

--