[Imports] Import Rio de Janeiro's data.rio data

Arlindo Pereira openstreetmap at arlindopereira.com
Sun Dec 14 01:28:24 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

I'm from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and the city government this year released
a portal called data.rio [1], with a number of datasets about the city,
such as hotels, museums, admin_level=10 boundaries etc. All the data is
released in ODbL, so we don't have to ask for their authorization -
although we should give credit, of course.

We are already discussing what should we import, and I believe that our
first step would be to import the admin_level=10 boundaries [2]. We are
already discussing the subject on our brazilian mailing list [3].

So what's the process of approval on the imports list? I have already read
the Guidelines. Should I begin by adding data.rio name on the Contributors
page?

My plan is to use the simplify plugin on JOSM - the maritime border on some
boroughs is excessively detailed - and make conflation on what has already
been mapped (based on boundaries defined by law and drawn by hand, maybe
not so exact), uploading the data with a user created for this task.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,
Arlindo Pereira

1: http://data.rio.rj.gov.br/