[Imports] Import of addresses in Poland

Paweł Marynowski yarl at openstreetmap.pl
Tue Feb 4 20:07:00 UTC 2014

2014-02-04 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>:

> As you probably know, OSM doesn't value data over community. Where
> imports are concerned, we usually look at whether there's a local
> community to "digest" the data that has been imported, to fix it where
> it's wrong, to update it in the future.
>
> Importing data "instead" of having a community is not something we
> normally do ("there's nobody there to map anything anyway so in order to
> make the map more useful let's at least import data").

Well in my humble opinion imports stimulate people to contribute to
OpenStreetMap. Not so many people want to start drawing from scratch their
town/village, and imported address point are sending message: "hey, we have
some data, maybe you can add outlines or POI?".

Please note that we don't have big community, mainly people in biggest
cities, so in some areas there is literally no one to contribute. We should
wait months or years for someone to show up?

> This is also the reason we prefer "community imports" where perhaps one
> person or a small group of people prepares data for import, but the
> actual import is done by people local to the area, who know the place
> and know what they're doing.

And what if local people don't have experience? And what's the difference
between local people and rest of people when all we do is importing
addresses? What advantages do local people have in this case? I simply
don't see the point.

Of course local people can fix potential fixes but again, for me it doesn't
match with imports.

What I'm seeing here is one single person importing huge amounts of data
> for one city after the next, all over Poland.

Just because he's experienced and have enough time to do it. What's wrong
with it?

> If this is not the case, then I think you should stop importing data.
> Has this been discussed in the Polish community?

Many, many times and there was always positive reactions to imports. What
is more, people have nothing against replacing their data with imports. And
it's logical because imported data are most likely more accurate.

Cheers, Paweł

--
Paweł Marynowski
User:Yarl <http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Yarl>