[Imports] [Imports-us] Address Data Import for Fulton County, Georgia

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon Jan 13 18:28:07 UTC 2014

On 1/13/14 11:05 AM, Carl Anderson wrote:
> Looking at the wiki for addresses
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Address), addr:city is intended to
> hold the postal community and not the legal municipal name.
>
> 911 and 311 call centers struggle with this problem all the time in
> that frequently, multiple locale names are in use and valid for a
> location.  The authoritativeness or correctness of a name has to be
> judged in the context in which it is used.

this is a big can which contains many worms.

as far as i know, when e911 was set up in NY, the enhanced 911
addresses were conformed to the postal addresses (and new postal
addresses were assigned as the old RR system was retired.)

so from my perspective, i favor conforming our addressing to the
postal/e911 standard as i understand it.

this is potentially very confusing. for example, the Schenectady post
office (city of schenectady in the county of schenectady) delivers
mail to a number of addresses in the town of colonie (in albany
county NY.) first responders will come from the appropriate
department in Albany County (unless something really bad is going
on.)

and for a given post office, they may accept mail for more than
one community name, reflecting historical communities for which
there is no legal standing but some cultural standing. for
example, in my old neighborhood in Troy NY, mail could be
addressed to me both for Troy and for Lansingburgh, even
though the independent city of Lansingburgh ceased to exist
about 100 years ago.

richard