[Imports] Dutch addresses and buildings import - how to deal with addresses in apartments

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Wed Jan 29 00:12:13 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 2:31 PM, Johan C <osmned at gmail.com> wrote:

> This matter has not been addressed in the November proposal, since I was
> not aware of it at the time. But given the WIKI we later decided that our
> import method would be okay. Biggest problems are that JOSM displays a
> warning (Nodes at same position) and that the display of addresses on
> Mapnik is not very nice. Perhaps the proposal as being made on this page
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_Features/Multiple_addresses<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_Features/Multiple_addresses)> would
> give a better solution. Then again, the Dutch community does not feel that
> the chosen solution is wrong. These addresses can be found in Nominatim and
> anyone using a Geofabrik extract will have correct addresses for any
> purpose (like routing).

Mapnik rendering of addresses isn't very pretty, especially when every
address is shown. If I knew how to create map styles, I'd drop addresses.
Addresses are nice for routing but they do not need to be displayed.

The JOSM warning is a pain. If the building has multiple front doors, then
ideally the address node would be positioned above the door. I can't say
that I've ever run across a multistory building like you described with so
many unique addresses. I've seen commercial buildings with separate
entrances with unique addresses, but that can easily mapped. I'm curious
about what the addresses in Vermeertoren look like.

--
Clifford
@osm_seattle