[Imports] Vermont Town boundaries from VCGI

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon May 5 16:11:44 UTC 2014

> In my experience, place=hamlet,village,town,city are *better placed as
> nodes* at the boundary centroid, rather than with ways representing the
> boundary. Mapnik and Mapbox use the nodes rather than the boundary lines to
> render. I am pretty familiar with place=* tags. Importing the boundaries
> are nice in terms of getting that data out there for all to see, but for
> place mapping consider adding nodes at the centroids.

I think that both are valueable information, a place polygon (not to
confuse with the administrative boundary, which often incorporates also
fields, forests etc.) could be used to describe the area of the settlement
(shape and size) and the place node can be used to indicate the more or
less obvious centre point (e.g. for routing without a specific address, for
low scale maprendering / labeling etc.).

As all settlements do have a spatial extension I fail to understand how
omitting this would be "better".

cheers,
Martin