[Imports] Japan, KSJ2 municipality administrative boundary re-import

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon May 12 09:20:01 UTC 2014

> There are some arguments to change "Prefecture" system to "State" system
> in Japan politics.
> (yes, it would take long years indeed...)
>
> If this change would be applied even as partially, we could not keep a way
> to represent the new systems.
> So I'm reserving "admin_level=3" bit to represent "state" level.
>

> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApY7X6fw8sqxdDNjY1FBeG00TlRZSFoxU2xwOHVCb0E#gid=1
>
> In fact, "都道府県" level (like Tokyo, Chiba or so) is so called "prefecture"
> in Japan.
> And I think this is a similar structure to "province".
>
> What is your opinion?

I think it is not needed to put any place tags if you just want to tag
administrative divisions. You simply add boundary=administrative,
admin_level=*, name=* wikipedia, population etc. to the elements. There is
a table for the corresponding legal entities here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dadministrative#10_admin_level_values_for_specific_countries

If it is not sufficiently representing your reality, discuss it on the
local ML and update the suggested values for Japan.

cheers,
Martin