[Imports] Using shp2osm

Eric Jiang eric at doublemap.com
Thu Apr 9 13:12:36 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 11:30 AM, EthnicFood IsGreat
<ethnicfoodisgreat at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello list.  I am a newbie as far as importing into OSM, but I am also a GIS
> professional working for the City of Indianapolis and I have access to all
> our GIS layers.

Great to see that someone in Indianapolis in interested in this -
there is a glaring lack of buildings and addresses for Indy in OSM. I
have looked into it before, but I was never clear on what usage of
Indy's GIS data was allowed, and didn't have the time as well.

I helped a bit with getting permission to import New Orleans data. The
leader of the import divided up the shapefiles into individual
precincts and used the OSM Tasking Manager to help divide up the labor
of importing and checking each precinct. Could be a decent model to
follow, and of course it was based on earlier import workflows as
well.

--
Eric Jiang, DoubleMap
Suite 401 | 429 N. Pennsylvania Street | Indianapolis, IN 46204