[Imports] how do i get a mapper to engage with the community over mass imports?

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Fri Apr 24 16:34:59 UTC 2015

On Friday 24 April 2015, Glen Barnes wrote:

> I’m not sure where all this came from. We (including you) were
> instrumental in setting up the LINZ2OSM process years ago in NZ. We
> discussed and came up with tagging schemes and received agreement on
> the process on the nzopengis group which is where all of the
> discussions take place. This import/merge is business as usual as far
> as I am concerned.

I don't have an opinion on this particular subject (i.e. aukland
buildings) but the way you manage the import with the linz2osm tool
seem to make it difficult for the normal mechanisms of imports in OSM
with advise and verification of the process by the larger international
OSM community to work.

The tagging rules for example are fairly difficult to access within your
tool and the list on the wiki:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/LINZ_attribute_matching

looks very incomplete.

To give an example: Canal polygons seem to be imported with
waterway=canal:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/230078171
http://linz2osm.openstreetmap.org.nz/data_dict/layer/canal_poly/tagging/

which is wrong (that tag is for the center line).  I don't want to warm
up old stuff that is long done but if this import is still largely in
progress it might be a good idea to re-evaluate the initial decisions
made based on practical expecience and how mapping practice in OSM has
changed meanwhile.

I would extend this to a general remark - all imports that run for more
than a year should IMO have yearly evaluations with update of the
documentation and a progress report and new RFC here on the mailing
list.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/