[Imports] Form of written consent for an import?

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Thu Jun 11 17:15:23 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 12:55 AM, Robert Buchholz <robertbuchholz at gmx.de>
wrote:

> I contacted the holder of rights for the 3D model asking them whether they
> would allow import to OSM. They verbally gave their consent, and are asking
> me how to proceed, i.e. in which form they should give their consent in
> writing. I asked that question to Frederik Ramm of the OSMF DWG, and based
> on his suggestions drafted a written statement for the holder of rights to
> sign and mail to an OSMF representative.

In two cases I had the rights-holder insert a licence notice into the data
itself (for online data refreshed periodically).
I pointed them to the ODbL licence page, and they inserted that notice into
a comment at the start or end of the data.
This is a highly robust way of doing things, since there's no need to keep
a secondary record of the permission.

ODbL of course is not the only possible licence.