[Imports] Northern Zambia data import

Lauren Jacobson lauren at developmentseed.org
Wed Oct 7 21:38:11 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

I want to introduce myself and propose a new import in northern Zambia to
the mailing list, and open up it up for feedback. My name is Lauren
Jacobson and I am a Developer at Development Seed in Washington, DC. We
just posted this proposal and plan in the Africa listserv and are cross
posting it here for additional input.

Over the past couple of years, Akros Global Health collected the locations
of over 268,000 buildings in Zambia through their mSpray indoor malaria
prevention program. We at Development Seed have been working with Akros and
USAID to process the data, and prepare it for import into OSM. This import
will add a significant amount of data to OSM in northern Zambia.

We've done the initial work to prep the data, check with existing data in
OSM, and outline our workflow for how we'll conduct the import. Until now
we've been working with the small group of collaborators at Akros, USAID,
Ona, and Development Seed. We want circulate the proposal and plan to get
additional feedback before we conduct the import.

*Import Plan*

The plan is to have the import conducted by the Development Seed team. We
identified no overlaps with existing buildings or roads in OSM and plan to
conduct the import via JOSM. Our full plan is outlined in the wiki.

  - Proposal and plan:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Northern_Zambia_Buildings_Import
  - Issues, code, and data:
https://github.com/developmentseed/zambia-buildings-import

We would appreciate any feedback before we conduct the import. Please feel
free to contact me or open an issue on Github if you have any questions.

Best,
Lauren

--

Lauren Jacobson