[Imports] Sitka, AK buildings import

Joshua Houston joshuahouston at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 05:24:39 UTC 2016


Hi Frederik,

Thank you for your comments. Some of those were not oversight but some
were. Mt. Edgecumbe Hospital's amenity tag removal was because it is not
simply the building but a campus of buildings. I don't know exactly the
area that would be contained in that but I plan on finding out and then
tagging that area with the hospital amenity tag.

The schools' amenity tags are the same. There is a school grounds area that
encompasses playgrounds and such that I will tag as amenity and leave the
building=school tag as the only school tag. I researched the help forum and
came to that conclusion as my preference. Sitka High School also has a
building addition that isn't in the new data but in the old data I simply
guessed. I plan on using the lidar to accurately draw that and that
wouldn't take long. There are some entrances to work out too. I'll be there
Wednesday I can do some ground truthing.

The Alaska Pioneers Home, which is often called Sitka Pioneer Home (along
with variations on whether pioneer is possessive or plural (I went with how
it is written in stucco above the main entrance)) is one I plan on
improving as well. There are two doors in that spot where I only show one
now. I've seen staff exit from the additional but I now believe it is not
an entrance.

The blockhouse is another one that is often written differently. I will
walk by that tonight and see what it says, i can check the pioneers home
entrances too, benefits of mapping a small town.

I did neglect the Hames Gym entrance and will replace that one.

The LDS multipolygon is one I did not catch and I am not sad to undo my
work in that spot. I'll have to figure out how I want to map that area now.
I have more of a preference than when I first mapped that multipolygon.

Thank you!

Joshua
On Monday, December 19, 2016, <imports-request at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Send Imports mailing list submissions to
>         imports at openstreetmap.org <javascript:;>
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         imports-request at openstreetmap.org <javascript:;>
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         imports-owner at openstreetmap.org <javascript:;>
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Imports digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: Sitka, AK, USA buildings import (Frederik Ramm)
>    2. Tunisia Delegations areas import (Marrouchi Mohamed)
>    3. Re: Sitka, AK, USA buildings import (Joshua Houston)
>    4. Re: Sitka, AK, USA buildings import (James)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 23:55:00 +0100
> From: Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org <javascript:;>>
> To: imports at openstreetmap.org <javascript:;>
> Subject: Re: [Imports] Sitka, AK, USA buildings import
> Message-ID: <332344bb-c941-2cef-479d-f213c3eeea0c at remote.org
> <javascript:;>>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>
> Hi,
>
> On 12/19/2016 05:49 AM, Joshua Houston wrote:
> > Here is the wikipedia page and I've also added it to the import
> > catalogue. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Sitka,_AK/Buildings_
> Import
>
> The proposed "delete all old buildings" changes also contain changes to
> two multipolygon relations which previously had buildings as their
> "inner" rings and are now left without these; in one of the cases, the
> multipolygon (http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3970420) becomes
> useless after the edit. It is, however, a matter of taste anyway whether
> or not to put buildings as inner rings in surrounding landuse.
>
> I noticed that while you copied over most entrance nodes, you left them
> out in a couple of places e.g. here
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/248548505
>
> where you're replacing the building with an almost identical one just
> without the entrance nodes, or for Sitka Pioneer Home which loses one of
> the entrances. Is that an oversight, or on purpose?
>
> There are minor other changes in tags, e.g. "Russian Block House" =>
> "Russian Blockhouse".
>
> Why has Mt. Edgecumbe Hospital lost its "amenity=hospital" tag? Maybe
> there's a general problem with amenity tags, it seems that Keet Gooshi
> Heen Elementary and Sitka High School have lost theirs too. - Perhaps
> double check if this has happened to other tags?
>
> For reference here's an OSM file that contains all the ways objects
> you're proposingto delete - if you load this in JOSM as a separate layer
> in addition to your import file you can spot the differences:
>
> http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/sitka-old.osm
>
> I would normally also recommend that you make sure those whose work
> you're replacing are happy with it but it seems that you're mostly
> replacing your own, earlier work in this case ;)
>
> Bye
> Frederik
>
> --
> Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail frederik at remote.org <javascript:;>  ##
> N49°00'09" E008°23'33"
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 22:45:29 +0100
> From: Marrouchi Mohamed <marrouchi.mohamed at gmail.com <javascript:;>>
> To: imports at openstreetmap.org <javascript:;>
> Subject: [Imports] Tunisia Delegations areas import
> Message-ID:
>         <
> CAPF0Neesav8Jd_OZhyYWBcMf22pqs6TCVSBpdgtMLnUvwkQrgw at mail.gmail.com
> <javascript:;>>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm member of OpenStreetMap Tunisia community and i want to bulk upload
> delegations from a GeoJson file into OpenStreetMap .
>
> I have no experience with bulk import, can anyone assist me please ?
>
> Please note that  :
>
>    - Tunisia's territory is divised into governorates (). Each governorat
>    contains multiple delegations.
>    - The data source is an official goverment open data portal :
>    http://catalog.industrie.gov.tn/dataset/tn-decoupage-
>    administratif-de-la-tunisie/resource/471a9a09-5069-4b7f-
> 8ef0-4a2085174890
>    <http://catalog.industrie.gov.tn/dataset/tn-decoupage-
> administratif-de-la-tunisie/resource/471a9a09-5069-4b7f-8ef0-4a2085174890>
>
> Regards,
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/imports/
> attachments/20161219/05a97a87/attachment-0001.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 17:00:05 -0900
> From: Joshua Houston <joshuahouston at gmail.com <javascript:;>>
> To: James <james2432 at gmail.com <javascript:;>>
> Cc: OSM Imports List <imports at openstreetmap.org <javascript:;>>
> Subject: Re: [Imports] Sitka, AK, USA buildings import
> Message-ID:
>         <CAEygc=
> mMEfiTpMOm5LUuFRjMv0asYMYy7AVZHPToaZCPU5CY7A at mail.gmail.com <javascript:;>
> >
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> Hi thank you for your replies,
>
> MainStreetGIS hosts the City's data and updates parcel data as the city
> sends them sub-divides, plats and address records. The 2012 aerial (the one
> I've referenced) is not a MainStreetGIS product, it is owned by the City
> and paid for by public funds. The building footprints were also not created
> by MainStreetGIS,  they were created by me, a City employee.
>
> The City has approved sharing data via the State's Department of Geological
> and Geophysical Surveys. It is where you can find LiDAR information and
> many aerials that the city owns.
> http://dggs.alaska.gov/file_transfer/CityOfSitka_data/
>
> I work in Public Works department. Many times the public will ask me for
> imagery and I'm allowed to give it to them. The city engineer always says
> the aerials were paid for with public funds so they are available to the
> public. We just don't have a data portal to make them publicly downloadable
> because there isn't a real benefit we see for doing that.
>
> Thanks I hope this helps
>
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 1:07 PM, James <james2432 at gmail.com <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > The wiki says it's public domain:
> > This data is in the public domain.
> >
> > If I remember correctly USA gov cant copyright geo information, so it
> > releases it under public domain.
> >
> > But when you go on the mainstreetmap website there's this disclaimer that
> > popsup:
> >
> > This Geographic Information System (GIS) browser provides access to
> > geographic and tax record information currently maintained by the City &
> > Borough of Sitka, Alaska for individual parcels of property. The maps and
> > data are for illustration purposes and should not be used for making
> > financial or other commitments. The data contained herein are a matter of
> > public record. These maps are not designed or intended to be used as a
> > substitute for an accurate field survey, as performed by a Registered
> Land
> > Surveyor.
> >
> > The City & Borough of Sitka, Alaska and MainStreetGIS, LLC assume no
> > responsibility for errors or omissions. In no event shall the City &
> > Borough of Sitka, Alaska or MainStreetGIS, LLC become liable to users of
> > these maps, or any other party, for any loss or direct, indirect,
> special,
> > incidental, or consequential damages, including but not limited to time,
> > money, or goodwill, arising from the use or modification of the maps.
> >
> >
> >
> > On Dec 19, 2016 4:59 PM, "Clifford Snow" <clifford at snowandsnow.us
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> >> Joshua,
> >> Nice import plan. Can you provide more information on the licensing from
> >> Alaska. I couldn't find any reference to how the data was licensed.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Clifford
> >>
> >> On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 8:49 PM, Joshua Houston <
> joshuahouston at gmail.com <javascript:;>>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >>> Sitka, AK buildings import is ready to be reviewed. I first began this
> >>> project with only building footprints, I've now followed it through to
> add
> >>> address data, elevation & height data, and data from the existing OSM
> tags.
> >>>
> >>> Here is the wikipedia page and I've also added it to the import
> >>> catalogue. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Sitka,_AK/Bui
> >>> ldings_Import
> >>>
> >>> Thank you!
> >>>
> >>> Joshua Houston (Jfact0ry)
> >>>
> >>> _______________________________________________
> >>> Imports mailing list
> >>> Imports at openstreetmap.org <javascript:;>
> >>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >> @osm_seattle
> >> osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us
> >> OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> Imports mailing list
> >> Imports at openstreetmap.org <javascript:;>
> >> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports
> >>
> >>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/imports/
> attachments/20161219/eff5f053/attachment-0001.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 21:35:39 -0500
> From: James <james2432 at gmail.com <javascript:;>>
> To: Joshua Houston <joshuahouston at gmail.com <javascript:;>>
> Cc: OSM Imports List <imports at openstreetmap.org <javascript:;>>
> Subject: Re: [Imports] Sitka, AK, USA buildings import
> Message-ID:
>         <
> CANk4qi_4g1o+VL9aahSnyerCXoC-3mHr7c0wpKcvJjLPky_oUg at mail.gmail.com
> <javascript:;>>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> This definitely takes care of the licensing then.
>
> On Dec 19, 2016 9:00 PM, "Joshua Houston" <joshuahouston at gmail.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
>
> > Hi thank you for your replies,
> >
> > MainStreetGIS hosts the City's data and updates parcel data as the city
> > sends them sub-divides, plats and address records. The 2012 aerial (the
> one
> > I've referenced) is not a MainStreetGIS product, it is owned by the City
> > and paid for by public funds. The building footprints were also not
> created
> > by MainStreetGIS,  they were created by me, a City employee.
> >
> > The City has approved sharing data via the State's Department of
> > Geological and Geophysical Surveys. It is where you can find LiDAR
> > information and many aerials that the city owns. http://dggs.alaska.gov/
> > file_transfer/CityOfSitka_data/
> >
> > I work in Public Works department. Many times the public will ask me for
> > imagery and I'm allowed to give it to them. The city engineer always says
> > the aerials were paid for with public funds so they are available to the
> > public. We just don't have a data portal to make them publicly
> downloadable
> > because there isn't a real benefit we see for doing that.
> >
> > Thanks I hope this helps
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 1:07 PM, James <james2432 at gmail.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> >> The wiki says it's public domain:
> >> This data is in the public domain.
> >>
> >> If I remember correctly USA gov cant copyright geo information, so it
> >> releases it under public domain.
> >>
> >> But when you go on the mainstreetmap website there's this disclaimer
> that
> >> popsup:
> >>
> >> This Geographic Information System (GIS) browser provides access to
> >> geographic and tax record information currently maintained by the City &
> >> Borough of Sitka, Alaska for individual parcels of property. The maps
> and
> >> data are for illustration purposes and should not be used for making
> >> financial or other commitments. The data contained herein are a matter
> of
> >> public record. These maps are not designed or intended to be used as a
> >> substitute for an accurate field survey, as performed by a Registered
> Land
> >> Surveyor.
> >>
> >> The City & Borough of Sitka, Alaska and MainStreetGIS, LLC assume no
> >> responsibility for errors or omissions. In no event shall the City &
> >> Borough of Sitka, Alaska or MainStreetGIS, LLC become liable to users of
> >> these maps, or any other party, for any loss or direct, indirect,
> special,
> >> incidental, or consequential damages, including but not limited to time,
> >> money, or goodwill, arising from the use or modification of the maps.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On Dec 19, 2016 4:59 PM, "Clifford Snow" <clifford at snowandsnow.us
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >>
> >>> Joshua,
> >>> Nice import plan. Can you provide more information on the licensing
> from
> >>> Alaska. I couldn't find any reference to how the data was licensed.
> >>>
> >>> Thanks,
> >>> Clifford
> >>>
> >>> On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 8:49 PM, Joshua Houston <
> joshuahouston at gmail.com <javascript:;>
> >>> > wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> Sitka, AK buildings import is ready to be reviewed. I first began this
> >>>> project with only building footprints, I've now followed it through
> to add
> >>>> address data, elevation & height data, and data from the existing OSM
> tags.
> >>>>
> >>>> Here is the wikipedia page and I've also added it to the import
> >>>> catalogue. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Sitka,_AK/Bui
> >>>> ldings_Import
> >>>>
> >>>> Thank you!
> >>>>
> >>>> Joshua Houston (Jfact0ry)
> >>>>
> >>>> _______________________________________________
> >>>> Imports mailing list
> >>>> Imports at openstreetmap.org <javascript:;>
> >>>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> --
> >>> @osm_seattle
> >>> osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us
> >>> OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch
> >>>
> >>> _______________________________________________
> >>> Imports mailing list
> >>> Imports at openstreetmap.org <javascript:;>
> >>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports
> >>>
> >>>
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/imports/
> attachments/20161219/59d68a97/attachment.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Subject: Digest Footer
>
> _______________________________________________
> Imports mailing list
> Imports at openstreetmap.org <javascript:;>
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of Imports Digest, Vol 90, Issue 9
> **************************************
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/imports/attachments/20161219/b4bc7807/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Imports mailing list