[Imports] Tunisia Delegations areas import

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Dec 20 14:05:52 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 12/20/2016 12:04 PM, Marrouchi Mohamed wrote:
> Thank you very much ! I was able yesterday to convert the data to OSM
> XML et import it into JOSM, but i have no experience with JSOM yet.

Just to be clear, under no circumstances should you simply hit the
upload button on that, especially since you say on legal-talk that the
data is "messy". There are certain expectations for a boundary data set
in OSM, among them that neighbouring boundaries actually share a way in
OSM instead of just running in parallel. A simple conversion of the data
is most likely not going to give you those results.

Also, where your data touches boundaries that already exist in OSM, you
will be expected to re-use them (or, if your data is better, improve the
existing boundaries with yours).

In order to ensure that your data meets the expectations, you'll be
expected to explain what you're doing - what source information you plan
to convert into which tags etc. - and ideally share the data to be
uploaded before you actually upload; this is what Ivan Garcia alluded to
when he said "take care of the wiki/mailing list steps before".

In case the data covers areas that you are not familiar with, it is also
suggested that you find people with actual local knowledge to help
because no official data is without errors, and someone with local
knowledge of the are being imported is more likely to spot them.

Bye
Frederik