[Imports] Data import from WRI Forest Atlas of Cameroon

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Wed Jul 27 18:16:07 UTC 2016

On Wednesday 27 July 2016, Rafael Avila Coya wrote:

> > That does not mean anything.
>
> Well. The license template we are talking about [1] is the one the
> imports guidelines wiki refers to in Step 3 - License Approval [2].
> Unless the Imports Guidelines wiki doesn't mean anything to you
> either. I don't know.

Since the wiki can be edited by anyone obviously there can be errors or
non-ideal formulations in there.  I am merely pointing out that this
kind of permission is not ideal since it leaves mappers working with
such data before it has been added to the OSM database in a legally
unclear situation.  Now you can of course disagree about this but
unless you bring forward arguments in addition to "it is suggested on
the wiki so it has to be all right" i am not likely to revise that
assessment.

But as said this is all only a problem for the mappers working with the
data before getting it into OSM.  It is not a problem for the OSMF or
the OSM community as a whole so if Joachim wants to proceed with an
import he is welcome to do that, by getting in touch with the Cameroon
community, setting up plans and documentation and getting back here for
review when this is ready or with any questions in between.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/